City Hunter; a modern version of Iljimae?

Return of Iljimae,2009( Jung Ilwoo)

Iljimae, 2008( Lee Joonki)

     Look at these two series. SBS's Iljimae and MBC's The Return of Iljimae. Both story revolved about the same name and concept but totally different personal story. Iljimae embraces a melodramatic tone, however Return of Iljimae goes for the action scene, and a little bit lighter. Then, how come City Hunter came across about these two?
     City Hunter- Gah, I love this series even after watching the first episode. Currently I’m watching the 5th episodes. It make me feel like watching a modern, even stylish version of Iljimae. When I’m reffering to lljimae, I meant both Iljimae( Lee Junki’s version) and The Return of Ijjimae( Jung Ilwoo). However, compare to both ancient drama( I mean, sageuk), City Hunter is a little bit awesome for me because of it’s faster pace and unpredictable turning tables. 

City Hunter, 2011( Lee Minho)


     Lee Yunseong seeks for revenge. But he won’t kill anyone( at least for the time being) and don’t want to. He has his own unique character and has sense of justice deep inside his heart. Even though he was trained harshly by his adopted father, he still becomes a kind person. His goal is not to seek for revenge merely but he want a happy life, full of love. Lee Min Ho acted very well in portraying Lee Yunseong’s character and I love him so much. How can he be so HOT?


" I'm sorry, but a blood for blood revenge...I don't want to be a part of this. Those who trampled on my life, I want to destroy them too! But if I kill them, would their children and wives let me go? This would only become an endless cycle of revenge!" 
~Lee Yunseong 
 

     While finding the truth about the conspiracy of the Big 5 ( the persons that  involves in the death of his biological father and other 19 elite armies) he eventually solved the crimes and provided evidences to bring the Big 5 to justice. At the same time, he helped the public against corrupted ministers which is exactly what Iljimae had done! It was like watching Return of Iljimae in 2011. Well, it's just my interpretation but trust me it's not similar at all.
      I was impressed with the action scene and the cinematography. How to say it, it was a nicely done work of art. I watched it with full of satisfaction. I hope this series will keep the good things 'till the end. I'll look forward for it.

Comments

Popular Posts