Fall hard for Arang & The Magistrate


Woww...this supposed to be an entry after a long hiatus right? Well, my first impression of Arang & The Magistrate is way too positive and I’m afraid that it’ll disappoint me in the end. But please, I love you so much and don’t play with my heart, or else I’ll punch, slap you on the face for breaking my heart. Argh, was I too much over a drama? I hope I won’t be that obsessive, seriously. 


It’s a drama settled in Joseon era in the city of Miryang where the ghost wandered around everywhere. The ghosts can see the humans but humans just can’t. However, there’s one person who had given the sixth sense to be able to see ghost. Err..that was scary huh? And that person, no other person than our hero Kim Eun-oh played by Lee Jun-ki.  And Shin Mina is the virgin ghost named Arang that wondered for almost 3 years, suffered from amnesia looking for her identity. Her real name was Lee Seo-rim, but the name Arang suits her more right? So, from this moment I’ll continue to address her as Arang, pretty much easier to pronounce and write. What do you think?

Arang the Ghost

Kim Eun-oh, the new appointed Magistrate

Arang & The Magistrate for me is quite mysterious, crazy and ridiculous but those were the reasons I love it badly. Am I going nuts? I love ridiculous, impossible fantasy storyline as the drama itself set up the rule of the game, something that can’t be explained with the rule of the reality. And probably that’s why I hooked up to the drama that promises different kind of rule like My Girlfriend is A Gumiho and 49 Days, just to name a few. There’re a lot of superstitious thingy and taboos but not too seriously engaged with the drama in a sad tone, like in The Moon That Embraces The Sun earlier this year. It’s lighter and fun to watch.  


If we looked into the characters one by one, they’re mysterious, hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. Let’s take Jade Emperor for example. Okay, let me be honest to you people. Everytime I looked at Jade Emperor, he reminded me of Yeo Woon ( well, if you watch Warrior Baek Dong-soo). So my imaginery thought had created an alternate universe whereby Yeo Woon died and soon become Jade Emperor in Arang & The Magistrate. This gonna be fun, isn’t it? Well, Yoo Seung-ho is too adorable as the Jade Emperor.  Not just that, the King of Underworld who happened to be Jade Emperor’s twin is totally an awesome fact. To look at them, there’s no way for them to be called TWINS. But nothing is impossible in Arang & The Magistrate.

 Yoo Seung-ho as the Jade Emperor

 Can you tell that they're twins?
 
I also spotted a guy, pretty much mysterious with the mystical ring that helps him to find the right girl. He is Lord Choi only son, Joo Wal who engaged to Lee Seo-rim/Arang. I don’t know what has gone into my mind that it took me 3 episodes to realize that he is our maknae oppa, Hwang Tae-pil ( yeah, again if you people watch Ojakgyo Brothers) that I used to love. His name is Yeon Woo-jin, chinca I shouldn’t forget his face. I love him in Ojakgyo Brothers , I love him in Ordinary Love as well and please don’t let me hate him too much in this drama. A little bit of hatred is well-tolerated anyway. I was aware that he might not be a good guy here, looking at his mysterious gaze and action.

 Yeon Woo-jin as Joo Wal


Well, something crossed my mind about the ring. I kept thinking that the ring reminded me of a vampire drama, well in Vampire Diaries the Salvatores are vampire brothers and they’re able to walk in the day because of the ring. Haha, I wouldn’t be surprised if Joo Wal will turn out to be some sort of creature as well. It would be boring if he is just a plain human since all other characters are totally not ordinary at all. Eun-oh can see the ghost, Arang later become human again for 3 months duration ( arghh..spoiler again) and the shaman, Bang Wool are able to hear Arang’s voice and we have Eun-oh’s mother that disappear without a trace. Not to forget, we have devoted Eun-oh’s servant as well as the Ghost Hunter that rock the mysterious adventure in Arang & The Magistrate. Let’s see how this drama will continue to impress me. So far, I’m on 4th episodes and seriously, I’m  addicted to it. 

The Ghost Hunter

 Eun-oh's servant

 Shaman Bang Wool
Till then, anyeong and see ya!

**no screencaps since the official still are much prettier to be seen. Am I right? plus the laziness to capture the screencaps.  


Comments

Popular Posts