Can you hear me?

And when you fall apart am I the reason for your endless sorrow?
There's so much to be said
And with a broken heart your walls can only go down but so low
Can you hear me when I call your name?
~ Daughtry, Call Your Name~

 
            The title of this post reminded me of this beautiful song by Daughtry which I liked so much. At the same time, one of my favourite dramas of 2011, Can You Hear My Heart lingered around my mind. The drama revolved about a deaf man who had permanent hearing loss since he was young. It was a shock for him not to be able to hear the sound of the world that he used to at such a young age. But as he grew up, he adapted to it and learned lip reading. Well, that was impressive huh?  But the reality wasn’t that cool to be compared as our drama hero Cha Dong-joo. Not everyone can learn lip reading, and not everyone can pretend to hear. Cha Dong-joo was one in a million. 


           Having seeing real persons who had hearing loss made me treasure my intact hearing right now. I’ve seen how much the quality of life had improved after having hearing aids or even the surgery. From someone who can’t speak clearly, with the help of speech therapy and surgery he managed to speak and can even talk using handphone. Even though I was told that the surgery went quite late at the age of 17, he was able to make such a great improvement. And he’s about 19 now and currently studying bakery! That was cool, anyway. I also came across a 5 year old kid who had hearing loss and after cochlear implant, the interactions with the family and friends is getting better. It upgraded the quality of life to a higher level. With the advancement of medical and technology, certain things can really be fixed. 

        
         I was touched upon talking to a young man who had loss his voice. His vocal cord was immobilized since 7 years ago and it’s getting worse. It all started 7 years ago when almost his whole body was burned because of electric current. That time, he was at the same age like me but  it was such a great determination that he endured it all until today. But thankfully that the scar healed well and his face was spared- no burn scars at all. Looking at him, he was such a good looking man at his mid 20s. But he’s not having his normal voice anymore; it was hard to understand him if you don’t pay attention to what he said. Throughout these 7 years he had been living with the tracheotomy tube inserted on his throat. When we asked about his feelings, he sometimes felt depressed since he couldn’t really express himself. Well, if I were on his shoes, I would feel the same. That must be hard on him, obviously.

           I also came across a boy, about 7 years old diagnosed to have recurrent respiratory papillomatosis since he was 18 months old. As it name suggest, the disease was like a curse- the term recurrent become the curse to this young boy as he had to be on plenty of surgeries to remove the growth on his respiratory tract that can obstruct his airway. He had to live that way for many years to come. At that point of time, I wished miracles can help this boy. But miracle rarely exists. And I’m aware of that. 
 

          Yeah, this is too much for me write in a post...So I think I should stop here. Whatever it is, be contented to what you have, never give up because life has to go on no matter what happens. Please, do appreciate for whatever you have either you’re aware of it or not. Be thankful! Can you hear me dear?


Till then, anyeong!

**The images above randomly taken from older posts. 

Comments

Popular Posts