Top 10 medical thingy in dramaland


Peace be upon you.

Okay, when you step in and embrace the beauty dramaland, its set its own rule and basically it is somewhat different in what should really happen in real world. Hah, this entry could be sarcastic, so be careful not to take this article as serious one. By the way, let’s dig a few illnesses or medically related conditions which are very prevalent in dramaland. Dramaland per se is sort if very huge scope- but I just want to refer to asian region only where we have, kdramaland, malay dramaland (in Malaysia) as well chinese/taiwan/HK dramaland and bits of other dramalands. Heeee...so let’s start the countdown. 

 Dr Choi Jin-hyuk in Golden Time

#10 - Heart disease 

                Even in real world, it’s prevalent and for that reason I put it on the least possible in dramaland.  Usually those with heart disease in dramaland is elderly rich guy (chaebol), died of heart attack and later all the legacy ( the company, houses etc) will be inherited by useless heir. Or the worst, maybe the event is plotted by those useless heirs. It’s frequent in almost dramaland, worldwide I guess. But in quite rare extremities, in such The Greatest Love’s Dokko Jin used to suffer from heart disease and had palpitations every time he hears that song. Haha!

 Dokko Jin

#9  - Dyslexia

                Let me first clarify this. Dyslexia is not an illness or a disease. It’s just a state where people hardly recognize letters such as b and d, for example. By the way, story about people suffering from dyslexia is quite interesting and Taare Zameen Parr did well in this one. Kdramas, you haven't done this right?

 Ishaan

#8  - Stroke

                Malay drama oftenly pulls this out. Hee…wanna know why? Usually the people who used to do bad things, later in the drama will suffer from stroke and the half body will be paralyzed later. Hee, it’s quite typical in malaydramaland here to happen to bad guy. It just sadden me that people stigmatized this illness as punishement from the God in drama. Hurmm…just, I can’t really accept that.  

#7 - Tics disorder/ autism / mentally-challenged 

                This is also can’t be considered as illness. Usually in malaydramaland, this type of disorder might get you an award. Huh? Really, I told you the truth. So dear actor-wannabe,  if you want to be recognized in award ceremony, please do accept this type of role, and you’ll get what you want. Rizwan Khan got it well in Khan and as far as I could remember, Park Ki-woong ( Shunji’s Bridal Mask) used to play this type of role in Story of A Man as a genius stock buyer, Mazinger Hunter. Well, I also read somewhere that my beloved Joowon ( our Gaksitaal, yeay ) will play this kind of role in his new drama entitled Green Scalpel. All in all, I love mentally challenged Bong yong-gyu in Can You Hear My Heart the most. He is just awesome isn’t it?

 Mazinger Hunter

 Bong Yong-gyu

#6 - Early onset Alzheimer
                I think only 1000 Kisses did this one right? Plus A Moment to Remember starring Son Ye-jin and Jung Woo-sung. Errr.. I don’t know why I’m putting this in #6 but perhaps, it has the chance for another remake? Huh? Nevermind. My mistakes putting this here. Ouchh…


               
#5 - Para Bombay Blood Type

                Hong Kong TVB drama usually pulls this kind of trick. Anyway, any drama does it. I knew this kind of blood type exist when I watch HK drama loooong time ago( I think it’s Burning Flame. I can’t recall it) until recently, I watched another drama that use this kind of trick, it’s 2010 TVB’s Twilight Investigation. Para Bombay blood type is the rarest of the rare blood type. How many rare(s) did I mention? That shows how rare it is. And the bad news is that you need that kind of blood urgently and no one could offer this except close family members. Again, quite a number of birth secret drama get revealed because of this. 

#4 - Psychotic disorder

                Very prevalent. Psychotic disorder is the only most logical explanation if you experience sort of weird things. Hehe..a lot of bad guys in many dramas suffered this, in such King 2 Hearts’ John Mayer, The Equator Man’s Lee Jang-il as well as Lee Moong-ki in Don’t Worry I’m a Ghost. Actually I’m glad that Park Seon-woo’s Nine didn’t suffer this though his mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia. 

 Lee Jang-il

 Lee Moong-ki

#3 - Cancer

                You’re very young yet diagnosed with cancer. When I mention cancer,it’s understandable that it is malignant. Woooow..malignant, that sounds nice. But not that nice if you get it in such a young age. Well, with the exception of leukemia and few others more, it’s not common for people to get cancer at early 20’s age. Scent of Woman embraces this kind of trick. Anyway, it is gallbladder cancer and it’s really really rare. And it bugs me, for Dr Jin to know it’s cancer just by looking at it. Huh..he’s amazing doctor huh? For being sarcastic to Dr Jin, I’m sorry. 

 Jin Hyuk in Dr Jin

 Lee Yeon-jae in Scent of Woman

#2 - Brain tumour / other space occupying lesion

                You guessed this would be number #1 in my list. Nope. Definitely not. I’m aware many drama do this. It could be tumor, it could be blood clot and sadly it could be gummy foetus. It’s not necessarily a cancer but because of the position is really bad. Because the brain is in the fixed skull, any foreign thingy you have in the brain will causing symptoms cause it will press you brain, nerves and blood vessel. Usually, you’ll be retching non-stop ( no, it’s vomiting)  and having headache as the first manifestation. I guess that was really hard for Kang Ma-ru (Nice Guy) and Park Seon-woo (Nine) to bear with those throwing up moment, right? Well, I don’t know if it’s a joke or what. But the only laughable items in Nine is the tumor. Yeah, I admit it is somewhat driving force in drama but it’s quite illogic that you’ve got stage IV glioblastoma, and yet still able to walk and talk. I was impressed with you, Park Seon-woo sshi. Perhaps your doctor friend, Han Young-hoon was mocking you saying it’s stage IV to get you hospitalized sooner. But you’re definitely a stubborn patient. 

 Kang Ma-ru
 Park Seon-woo

#1  - Amnesia – retrograde

                Wooooooo…seriously, I put it in number one? Too sad,  because it’s the most prevalent in dramaland. You might have it, anytime, anywhere. 


“You don’t know what amnesia is? It’s in drama all the time. The most common disease in the world”
-Park Seon-woo to Park Min-young

 
Heh, how can I believe you Park Seon-woo shhi? I gave a round of applause for the writer who wrote this line. That line is truly daebak. Though Park Seon-woo says it as if it’s a joke, I really like that line. Hahaha…that’s the funniest part of Nine, I would say. Most people in dramaland became amnesiacs as the sequelae of road traffic- accident, or other domestic incidence, or brain surgery. Countless drama did that. Maybe the most successful amnesiacs drama is Winter Sonata. Hurmm, it’s the first koreandrama for most of people at my age and started to become kdrama addicts since then. Hurmmm…. Since road traffic accident is not an illness, otherwise I might put that on the list as well. It’s really prevalent and probably I will write another entry about that as well. Perhaps. 

 Amnesiac Seo Eun-gi

Well, to think about it, why not drama makers make real nightmares of illness in their drama? Why don’t we portray a girl who is eating excessively and later diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus? It’s quite interesting isn’t it? Or not. Haha.. An obese girl trying to control her diabetes by exercising regularly, controlling her diet and in few years become healthy and has a good figure to become a model. Yeah, why not make it like that instead of an overly obese girl go under the knife for cosmetic reconstruction to suck up all the fat? It’s ridiculous and quite gross isn’t it? Incarnation of Money did that, and I didn’t invest in it. And seriously, diabetes is a real nightmare for Malaysians as it carries a lot of overlooked, taken for granted complications. Hurrmmm…what do you say?




Anyway, it’s dramaland where the illogic become logic - vice versa. It deviates us ( or just me) from reality a bit and challenge us with the worst case scenario. I’m  aware that illness such as cancer, is quite prevalent nowadays but yeah, you should have the risk factor to say that you might have it. Illness can happen to anyone of us, indeed. It’s also a form of challenges in life that we have to face. Keep the faith and remain strong. All is well ( singing like 3 Idiots’ style). When we’re living, we’re actually accepting the fact that we gonna die someday. Right? If you’re afraid of dying, don’t start living then. Hehe…this is a sarcasm. Just kidding. Albeit the ridiculousness of fact  that dramalands gave me, I still believe that;

“From every story, there's lesson to be learnt- for those who want to learn and think!”

Well, again that above sentence might hurt some people. But please don’t hate me. I’m just stating what I feel. Hah, sometimes I curse some dramas and sometime I am obsessed with it, stick to it like a permanent glue, but it’s just a drama – another will come after another and will continue mesmerized us with some out-of-real facts. As long as the lesson(s) still there, it’s okay. What do you think the most common kdrama-related diseases? As for me, it could possibly drama/movie addiction. A new common condition,progress rapidly, an epidemic but can progress to pandemic. It also interferes with your social functioning. Heh? What I'm writing. Nevermind. Don't take this too hard. I'm just having some sense of humor plus little bit of sarcasm. Hehehe..What a long rambling by drama addicts. Till then, take care everyone. Anyeong!

Comments

Popular Posts