A Year of Hiatus

This year indeed was a tough one for me. I suffered from anhedonia for quite sometime losing my interest in anything. But miraculously despite the hardship, I managed to watch few good dramas this year and although I'm not as addicted as I were, watching drama is such a guilty pleasure for me. It has been long since I updated this tiny blog and luckily I still manage to recover the password. Here are my quick reviews for this year’s drama. Anyhow, these are just my personal opinions as a very ordinary viewer who find escapism from reality to embrace the world of dramaland. What defines good drama? Seriously I don't know how to describe good drama but as long as it gets into my heart and mind in any ways, I can consider it as a good drama. This year I wasn’t really picky with drama and tried to just get along with it. 

Then, let's get started!

Kill Me Heal Me

Dissociative identity disorder is somewhat an interesting plotline to begin with and having 7 different alters is somewhat quite unrealistic but Ji-sung are capable enough to enlighten me wholeheartedly. It is interesting how a traumatic childhood and dysfunctional family leads the innocent child into mental breakdown. Basically I love all the 7 alters of Cha Do-hyun and it entertained me so much. From the outside it looks like a nice rom-com to begin with but in the nutshells it carried greater complexity. Honestly this drama has its flaws but the good thing is that I got swept away and satisfied with ending where everyone got their so called healing ending. Shin Se-gi, Ferry Park, Ahn Yoo-seob, Ahn Yoona, Nana and lastly Mr X really were awesome characters! Furthermore, the sibling chemistry between rocket team Oh Ri-jin and Oh Ri-on really made the ride with Kill Me Heal Me worthy. 


Healer 

I like Healer because of its action-packed yet filled with warm feeling. Seo Jung-ho ( alias Park Boong-soo/ Healer) is the man of disguise capable of doing anything yet still overly cute and awkward when he tried to socialize like a normal people. I like healer mainly because of its action plus Ji Chang-wook cuteness, ahjumma's hilarious acting and happy Chae Young-shin made my ride with healer a wonderful one. 


Warm and Cozy

Honestly I watched this drama when I was in the midst of struggle to find happiness again. Therefore, I was kind of attracted to Jung-joo’s ( Kang So-ra) decision to let go of her work in the city. The risk that she took - I shared the same dream of living in the countryside and this drama reach my heart eventhough I believe it could be done in nicer way. As a fan of Hong sisters who wrote awesome works in Master’s Sun and The Greatest Love, it’s hard for me to totally ignore this show. Despite my dissapointment, Warm and Cozy is such a warm drama indeed and I just hope that lovely Kang So-ra and Yoo Yeon-seok get a better drama next time around. 


Hyde, Jeckyll and Me 

Another DID come in play. But this time around, I kind of have this unsure feeling with Hyde because I expected it to do well and with the fact that Hyun Bin were in it- my expectation were higher but it all went into the drain. Albeit the frustration I still continue watching it although the whole scheme were like merry go round and beating around the bush. How I wish this show could be better, sigh! Or is it because Kill Me Heal Me set a standard for me that I happen not to feel well with this one? Until now, I still don’t know. 


Scholar Who Walks the Night

I anticipated Lee Jun-ki and Lee Yoo-bi performance since this pairing seems hopeful. I’ve seen Lee Yoo-bi in Nice Guy as Kang Maru’s cute little sister and here in Scholar she is awesome as always. Honestly in scholar I found hope with Changmin’s acting and I guess he really improve a lot. Congratulations, dear! 



She Was Pretty

Well as you know I watched Kill Me Heal Me earlier on. Since their chemistry was damn perfect as siblings I wish I can see them team up for another drama. She Was Pretty is like a dream come true. I like she was pretty because of its simplicity yet sweet and satisfying. I had a hillarious rom-com, a sweet love story, the unbroken friendship and sisterhood all in one drama yet it never get boring. I love the fact that the writer relate the story with Renoir’s painting about the peeping girl in the jigsaw puzzle. Too often in a drama we look at the main characters and forget about the supporting one. Indeed the supporting characters has their own story to be told. 

“I was not confident enough to be a loser in front of my first love so in front of my first love that day, I became a hidden picture”
Kim Hye-jin


Splash Splash Love

This is the most recent one I watched, and although it is just 2 episodes special drama, it is close to my heart. Time travel never failed to enlighten me. Be it a gummy foetus ( Dr Jin) , inscense stick (Nine), or mysterious talisman ( Queen In-hyeon’s Man) it never gets boring. Now the poodle of water has its own supernatural power. Splash Splash Love is not merely about love but it indulge the spirit of self discovery and being able to let go.I hated the idea of doppelgänger suddenly appeared at the end of the show as in Rooftop Prince, but in Splash, somehow I can really accepted it. It is just 2 episodes drama, but why it is so good? Thinking about it again 2 episode is just lovely so it won’t be too draggy. Anyhow, Kim Seul-gi really nailed it and Yoon Doo-joon as the King Sejong really was really awesome.


Marry Me or Not?

I'm not a big fan of Taiwan drama but it was by chance that I accidentally watch this drama and fall I love with it. Somehow, love at the first sight really do happen. Though I realize that the rivalry between Sheng Nan and Hua Zhen is beyond ridiculous, I’m curious how it is so fun and addicting to watch. I love the two ladies here, though they seem childish but certainly they’re strong woman. Well for the guys I think Justin and Qian Yue are hard to read, layered with complexity as well. What else can I ask for more? Since this show hasn't ended yet, I really look forward how things gonna wrap up later. Be it good or bad, I had a hope that this show will give deep impression to me. 


Well, that's it for this year. Too few isn't it? Wish everyone a wonderful year ahead, and may many happy returns! Peace be upon the world!

Comments

Popular Posts